Director of Development
Fit Kids is seeking an experienced Director of Development who will be committed to advancing its mission to provide structured, physical activity programs to children in underserved communities to build the foundation for a healthy, active life.
Fit Kids was founded in 2011 and has partnered with schools, after-school programs and other nonprofits serving youth and families in underserved communities to inspire an early love of sports and fitness that will serve as the foundation for a healthy way of life. In addition to its work in the greater Bay Area, Fit Kids has launched a scalable program outside the Bay Area and is looking forward to national expansion.
Reporting to the Founder/Executive Director, the primary responsibility of the Director of Development will be to establish and implement fundraising strategies to grow Fit Kids’ contributed income. The new Director of Development will collaborate with the Executive Director to develop a fundraising plan and strategy incorporating achievable steps that will lead to financial sustainability. He/she will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to identify and pursue opportunities to increase and diversify sources of revenue including foundation and corporate support, individual and major donors, annual appeals, special events and board recruitment.
In collaboration with the Executive Director:
- Prepare and oversee fundraising budget, including tracking progress toward goals, creating reports to monitor results, and providing monthly updates to Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Manage major/individual gift portfolio and determine strategies (including personal asks, direct mail, and proposals) for cultivating, stewarding and soliciting gifts.
- Expand Fit Kids’ donor base, cultivating and advancing donors and obtaining gift commitments, and managing a comprehensive stewardship program to guarantee timely donor appreciation.
- Responsible for management of fundraising and marketing materials, acknowledgment letters, email updates and appeals, and invitations focused on major/individual donors.
- Assist with generating ideas for an annual event (in addition to Children’s Champions). Responsibilities for this event will include being directly responsible for the development, monitoring, management, and execution of the annual event including committee recruitment, corporate sponsorship, auction procurement, and event marketing and logistics.
- Support the Executive Director in developing organization-wide initiatives including; fundraising, board and volunteer recruitment, communications and programs.
- Responsible for corporate and foundation relations, including writing grants, securing corporate sponsorships, preparing reports and meeting with program officers.
- Directly responsible for year-end giving efforts including online promotions and solicitations and annual fundraising letter campaign.
- Attend Fit Kids’ board meetings and provide development support to board members as needed.
- Participate in social media and web-based promotions as determined by Fit Kids.
- Serve on the senior management team working closely with Executive Director on budgets, program strategies and community outreach.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant policies and regulations set forth by the IRS, Board and ED.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of direct experience in fund development with demonstrated success.
- Experience with donor management software.
- Strong nonprofit financial acumen; ability to create and effectively track and report on an annual department budget, and to accurately monitor report and evaluate restricted and unrestricted gifts and grant monies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop strong internal and external relationships with board, volunteers, donors, program participants and staff.
- A self-starter who is detail and goal oriented with superior organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and evolving environment; juggle many responsibilities and projects at once; and meet deadlines and budgets.
- Flexible and adaptable, with excellent teamwork and supervisory skills.
- Personal passion for the work, mission and values of Fit Kids.
- Unquestioned integrity, professional demeanor and authenticity in building relationships with, and inspiring best effort from Board, staff, donors, and partners.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of Bay Area communities preferred. The position requires the ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
This Search is being conducted by the Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership.
To be considered as an applicant, please:
- E-mail PDF of resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Include in the Subject: “Fit Kids Director of Development Search” Please note in your cover letter where you found this posting.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. Fit Kids is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of qualifications. The organization policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in any employment decision based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation. Submission of your application is not an offer of employment.